Do you have SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth)? It’s a leading cause of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).
You can do the test and check how likely you are to have SIBO at www.siboquiz.com
SIBO is actually a very common undiagnosed cause of IBS (up to 84%) and thus shares some of the same presenting symptoms with IBS—Gas/bloating, diarrhoea/constipation, and abdominal cramping. It can occur after a severe bout of gastro, after antibiotics, if you are taking certain medications (like Proton Pump inhibitors e.g. Nexium or Losec), with low stomach acid, after some surgeries and many more reasons.
IBS can have several causes— food sensitivities, dysbiosis of the large intestine, lack of digestive enzymes or hydrochloric acid, stress. All can cause digestive complaints that are often indistinguishable from one another.
Symptoms of SIBO can include:
- Alternating constipation and diarrhoea
- Abdominal cramping
- Bloating and/or wind
- Burping and Acid Reflux/GORD
- Food sensitivities
- Joint pain
- Skin rashes
- Iron and B12 deficiency
- Respiratory symptoms such as asthma
- Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – especially associated with diarrhoea dominant SIBO
- Chronic constipation – associated with methane-dominant SIBO
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory Bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis)
- Acid reflux
- Coeliac disease
- Interstitial Cystitis
- Acne Rosacea
- Restless leg syndrome
- Chronic Prostatitis
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)
- Liver cirrhosis
Normally, bacteria are found in the trillions in the LARGE INTESTINE, where they perform various symbiotic functions for the human body.SIBO is a condition where bacterial overgrowth occurs in the absorptive area of the body the SMALL INTESTINE.
Why worry about SIBO or gut issues now?
Your gut lining houses the vast majority of your body’s immune cells & trillions of microorganisms that also influence immune function (your microbiome). 80% to 90% of your immune cells are in your gut, so as COVID-19 sweeps the globe, your best defence is your very own immune system, which involves optimising your gut health. So if you have leaky gut or food allergies, IBS or SIBO you may have a compromised immune system that is busy dealing with gut inflammation. So it makes sense to calm the fire in your gut – to help both improve your symptoms and strengthen your immune system.
How can we help you?
Get a handle on SIBO, IBS, and other gut health issues with 2 options:
1. A personalised treatment plan. This involves making an initial consultation to discuss your issues, review any tests you have had done, see what strategies and supplements you have already tried. You can make an appointment on https://holistic-health-pty-ltd.au1.cliniko.com/bookings or call for a complimentary brief consult to discuss on 03 9370 7070
2. The SIBO Success Plan at a deeply reduced price to make this important program accessible. The first lesson has been unlocked for FREE. The program normally costs $247, but you can access the program for only $49 by following my link below and clicking on the “Patient Success Plan”.
For some SIBO friendly recipes see: https://www.thesibodoctor.com/category/sibo-diet-recipes/
Yours in Health
Doreen Schwegler: Medical Scientist & Naturopath.